Friday 17 January 2014

Fonts Analysis


Animal Silence: This font is very different as the Uppercase letters of words have a strange slanted efffect; this makes it a lot more interesting. Although the rest of the letters are lowercase, they appear as if they are Uppercase as to fit in with the theme; there is a fixed height of the Font, which means that this would be very useful for a magazine in situations such as a header on a page (An interview for example). By not using any uppercase letters, this font can appear completely different, as the only aspect that really singles it out is that slanted Capital Letter; by not using uppercase you could very easily use this font for the cover, for example as a small sell. There are no Ascenders in this font as everything is on the same line.

My Genre focuses on Pop-Punk/ Rock, and as such this font would fit into the theme quite well, with and without the Uppercase slanted letters. The slanted letters act as much of a design addition, where as I could include a small word resting on the slant. An example of this would be the contents where I could include the word 'The' on the slant and have the text say 'Contents'. Another example, although one that might not work as well, would be to have the word 'Exclusive' on the slants with the text reading 'Interview with...', this technique would work because of how every uppercase letter has the same slant degree.


Bebas Neue is by far my favourite font just because of how it looks. There is a fixed height, as well as a fixed width for every letter which means that the words you type have a very neat appearance. When converted to white and given a shadow, this font sticks out very well on a page of content; it is very easy as well to add a gradient to each letter to give it a 3D effect, although this would probably not fit in with my magazine very well. Every letter in this font is uppercase regardless of how you type; although at this size it appears very clean, when set to larger fonts it does not look as good because of how thin it is; this will not impact me on my choice to use this font, as it is not the right type of font to use for a header of my genre.

When this font is used in a small size it really shines because of how tall it is; it terms of genre, I would not say that this font could actually be held down to any, and for that reason I do think it could be incorporated into my magazine. In the long run this would act really well for a sell on the cover, because of how small it can become while still being readable.


Break it: This font would work perfectly for the name of a magazine; when placing this font rather large at the top of the page, it fits in perfectly as a Header. There is no fixed height, so there appears to be a curve, giving it a creative addition. A Rock magazine would match this very well because of how it appears to be shattering; the shatter is dynamic that it will stretch across the word you type indefinitely. You could say that the shatter would represent the heavy nature of the music style I mentioned, although this might be overanalysing.

I can see where this font would match with my genre, but I can also see how it would not; I fear that if I made this a banner it would come across as too 'out there', and over-excessive because of the crack throughout the test, and as far as I am aware there is no alternate version.


Butch & Sundance: As a very stylized font, this works pretty well. The More-than and Less-than signs act as images that help separate this as a header. The & symbol changes into a small image that reads the word 'and'. I think if I was to use this font, it would be to just take away the dynamic characters, such as the & symbol, because I feel that if I was to mix this with a different font it would work very well. I see the & symbol as a very useful tool, as I can see how it would fit into a contents page; the page would list all of the different articles throughout the magazine, and then have a giant '&', then include reference to the cover story. The height varies depending on letters, with the majority of letters being defenders; I feel as if this would not work for a magazine because they would create unused space below the header, although I might be able to just use Ascending letters, such as those that are uppercase because they appear on the same line.

For Pop-Punk/ Rock, this does not fit completely; I would say that this would be more for a US Country magazine due to the descending letters and overall style.


Karmatic Arcade: Fonts like this are very different, because they are technically an outline. If you were to add this font into an editing program such as Photoshop, the inside 'white' area would appear transparent due to how the font is encoded; this is not very useful as it means I would have to manually add a white inside through editing the text, or creating a layer underneath that is cut to the correct size, which could possibly reduce some quality. There is a fixed Height with the font, and it technically acts as if it is one image by how it blends together into a line.

This font is an 8-Bit style; 8-Bit is a very common format when it comes to 'Video Game' related designs, I think that this font would fit a Video Game themed magazine a lot more closely for this reason. I can see this fitting in with the sell of a Magazine Cover, but when it comes down to it there is really not much appeal for this kind of font on a Pop-Punk magazine.
Impregnable: As a handwritten, and near impossible to read font, I can not see this fitting in at all to my magazine. The only way I can see this fitting into a magazine, would be for a brief word on top of another word, such as a very large 'INTERVIEW' and a small 'Exclusive' written in this font in the top right corner. As it is handwritten, it includes a lot of flicks to give the impression of written text; because of how the font acts joined up, it means that there has to be a dynamic that makes sure that every letter connects to the next letter.

A Genre that would most likely include this type of font would be some sort of classical magazine; it could be said that this would work for other genres if you were to convert the text to white and give it a very bold shadow, but I would say that in the long run it does not appear as a very suitable font for the majority of different magazines.


Impacted is a play on the default Windows font 'Impact', acting as a much more playful and curved counterpart. The letters are not on the same line, giving a sense of movement; each letter has a fixed positioning so that regardless of what order you put them in, each letter will always be raised in the exact same way. Using this font can work well if the project you are developing has a very 'messy' design; for the Genre and design I want it could work, although I fear that since every other font that I think would also suit are based on a line, and this is not, it would not fit.

A Genre for this would be Alternative Indie because of how it is a changed version of an already existing font. My Genre is Pop-Punk, so I could not see this fitting in in any respect.


Lazy Sans: This is a very unique font because of how it looks; each letter appears as if it is shaking. The face that comes with the font is linked to the Copyright symbol, although I will probably not use this because it does not fit with my magazine. Different letters look better together than others; this is due to how the effects of shakiness are presented; for this reason, it will be dependent on what I want to do in order to decide whether or not this font would be good font to use. Although there is a shaky outline to the text, it is very bold where the actual text is, and there are other font options under this category that include the same font without the effect.

This font would be more useful for a Dance magazine as it shows movement; this would not fit my genre, and as such I could not use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment